Thursday 7 February 2013

Hymn and Scripture Challenge #1 - Lift High the Cross

Happy...what's left of Thursday, my friends!
I'm a little bit late in the day with this post in but I thought I better do it tonight because I have a couple more posts coming. I've decided to spread them out over three days rather than bombard you with them all at once!

Today I have my first Hymn and Scripture Challenge page to show you for the 2013 round. Tomorrow I'll be back with my finished Raggedy, and Saturday my second Hymn and Scripture Challenge page. Then I will be ALL caught up for when the next one is posted on Sunday! It's taken me FOREVER to get back on track, so I should be careful that this doesn't happen again! I've discovered I don't like being behind! I do hope you'll keep coming back to see them all! :o)

Okay, on to this years challenge pages. Last year I did 8 1/2 X 11 pages. My album is FULL! So this year's pages will be 8 1/2 " square. I have some covers that I can decorate for this size so I think it will be fun. The other thing I'm doing different is that I'm not putting the music sheet on the page. I may use some of them for the creating part but the full hymn page will be posted on the back of each page. You won't be seeing them like you have been. I think this option will be lots of fun for me, and I hope you'll enjoy it too.

The song "Lift High the Cross" is a beautiful hymn but I can't tell you it's my favorite. Aren't you surprised! lol The reason it's not is because it's not as familiar to me as all the others have been. I didn't think I even knew it but once I heard it I realized I have...just not very often. The refrain of the song says this:
"Lift high the cross, the love of Christ proclaim,
Till all the world adore His sacred Name."  
One of the verses is this: 
"O Lord, once lofted on the glorious tree,
As thou hast promised, draw the world to Thee."
Isn't that a beautiful description of the cross that Jesus died on. I've never thought of it as a "glorious tree" before. One more verse to share:
"So shall our song of triumph ever be:
Praise to the Crucified for victory."

Isn't that lovely? We have a song of triumph to sing! We have victory because of what Jesus did on the cross for us! This song is a beautiful reminder for us! :o)

Materials Used:
Papers: K & Company - Classic K - McKenna,
Recollection Cardstock;
Dies: Cheery Lynn Designs - English Tea Party,
MM Slice Design Card - Wedding (gift from Friday),
Spellbinders Nestabilities - Standard Circles (LG),
Memory Box - Cherry Blossom;
Stamps: Stampin' Up - Woodgrain,
Recollection Cling Script Stamp;
Punch: Martha Stewart - Rose Leaf,
Pearls: My stash.

* * * * *
Linking Up To:


* * * * *

There isn't a huge selection of videos of this song, and most of them are choirs.
I've picked one that has the words for you to see.



16 comments:

Karen Letchworth said...

Nancy: You continue to touch and bless my heart time and time again. It means so much, and I enjoy every time I stop by to see what you've shared.
Thanks so much!
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Creations by Shirl said...

Hello sweet Nancy~
How are you doing? Love love your card, the scripture is just too precious. Awesome details to every part of your card.. .TFS the music video - so soothing!

Unknown said...

Nancy
It's lovely beyond description. Thank you for the warm welcome.
Are you near Caronport?
Blessings
Carole
On iPhone in bed

Tracy said...

How pretty! I love the woodgrain stamping on the cross and how you have it coming out of the lovely flowers. You picked some great paper and colors for this one too Nancy. Hugs!

Pop's Cards said...

Good Morning sweetie, this is just stunning, huggles Pops x x x

Marilyn said...

This is very nice Nancy. I love the contrast of the rustic cross with the flowers and that paisley paper is pretty.

Jonia said...

How beautiful Nancy! I love that you made it a spring looking page because that is what this song made me think of. Love the cross. Glad you are catching up my friend.

Geri said...

Wow, what a beautiful tribute to this hymn, Nancy. The flowers at the foot of the cross make me think not only of Christ's death on it, but the new life found in his resurrection! (Reminds me that Easter will be here before we know it!!) Thanks for sharing this lovely creation!

Tfriday said...

I have never thought of the cross as a tree either... Love it. Awesome page as usual. Love how you made the cross with wood so perfect. TFS... Hugs!!

Marsha Fisher said...

What a beautiful page! The cross is a glorious representation of the amazing love of God...and so wonderful to continually meditate on all that implies. Joining you to give praise honor and glory to God for so great a salvation!

Kreatives von Andrea said...

Oh my friend, what a great page!It is so beautiful Nancy!And the paisley paper is so wonderful,i like it very much...

Have a nice weekend my friend, hugs Andrea

Jennifer said...

Nancy, this is beautiful! Praise the Lord for what he has done for us on the cross! Love the woodgrain on the cross and the lovely flowers you've created to!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

So beautiful and uplifting! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Susan M said...

Love your new format for your pages Nancy,and this is beautiful !I learn so much from your pages, I would never have thought to stamp a woodgrain image to make the cross.Your doily is fabulous and your pretty flowers.Thanks for posting the video it reminded me of my old church!

Susan said...

how hopeful your cheery colors lift high that cross. very pretty!

Robyn said...

Totally delightful! Thank you for your comment awhile back about the scripture challenges. I will need to get serious about them soon, or I will be playing catch up all year!!

Blog Archive