Saturday 1 December 2012

Hymn and Scripture Challenge #16 - Praise to the Lord, the Almighty!

Hello, my sweet friends!
I hope you're all enjoying your weekend so far! It's still dreary and cold here with the best kind of snowfall happening. Soft and fluffy big flakes just floating around in the air...it's so pretty! I'd like to thank all of your for the lovely congratulations on my daughter's engagement, and for all the other sweet comments you've been leaving for me lately! I appreciate each one of you very much!
Today it's time for a new Hymn and Scripture Challenge page. I really LOVE this beautiful hymn, and it truly  is a long-time favorite of mine! I just had to create a red page for this one. I have always called red my "happy" color! It's also been a little while since I've done a vintage style page, so here is my happy vintage page! :o)
I've inked my song page up so much that you can't read the words but here are the first and last verse:

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
    All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;
Sing now in glad adoration!

Praise to the Lord! Oh, let all that is in me adore Him!
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him!
    Let the Amen sound from His people again;
Gladly for aye we adore Him. 


One thing I know for sure about praising the Lord is that it can turn an unhappy, grumpy, pain-filled day into something else entirely! If you think about it...many of our miserable days are because we are in a selfish mood, right? We're too busy dwelling on how things are not going the way WE want them to go, or we're wondering why WE have to be sick or in pain, or we're upset because somebody hurt OUR feelings! 

When we turn that selfish attitude away from ourselves and focus on praising God...something amazing happens! No longer does the day seem so miserable! In fact, it can suddenly become downright JOYFUL!! God is so good...all the time! How can we be grumpy when we concentrate on praising HIM for ALL He has done for us? My Scripture verse is found in Psalm 67:3:



"Let the people praise Thee, O God; let all the people praise Thee!"



I must confess that I was in a particularly selfish mood yesterday, I was actually quite miserable! lol You wouldn't think it would be the best time to work on this Challenge page...but it was the perfect time! I put on some fabulous praise and worship music, and got to work with an attitude of prayer. I had a fabulous time making this page! I started with the decorative paper and just played. I wanted "praise" to be the focus. I found some chipboard letters that a friend sent me but they were the wrong color. So I peeled off the top layer and inked them up to match my page. I used the kraft packing paper that I had saved from a parcel and cut out LOTS of flowers with the Tim Holtz Tattered Floral Garland die. You all know I love to make flowers! It was the first time using this die and I really like the finished flowers. The packing kraft was quite thin so I could really layer them up. When the entire page was finished I sprayed it with the Perfect Pearls mist. I was hoping that the thin kraft would curl up a bit with the wet mist, and it did! 


Here is a close-up of one of the smaller flowers:


So, after all that fabulous time of singing and dancing to the worship music while I concentrated on creating a page of praise to my Lord, this girl was a HAPPY girl! I suggest you try it the next time you have a grumpy pain-filled day! It works every time! :o)


Materials Used:
Papers: My Mind's Eye - Life Stories, Kraft Packing Paper;
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Festive Berries and Walnut Stain;
Die: Tim Holtz Alterations Dies - Styled Labels,
Tattered Floral Garland - Sizzlits Decorative Strip;
Alphabet: Altered Gift from Debbie;
Word Strips: Dymo Label Buddy - Red Label;
Mist: Perfect Pearls Mist - Biscotti;
Ribbon and Brads: My Stash;
Decorative Pin: The Nickel Nook.

* * * * *

Linking Up To:

Triple The Scraps - Hymn and Scripture Challenge #16 - HERE
Word Art Wednesday - Challenge #56 - God's Goodness/Anything Goes - HERE

* * * * *

Here is a really lovely version of the song with all the words included. 
I hope you can take the time to listen to this beautiful hymn! Enjoy!



16 comments:

Geri said...

What a reminder of what God can do when we allow it, Nancy! This is such a beautiful page!! I LOVE the bright but warm pink with the Kraft...and your gorgeous blossoms...all those delicate layers came together beautifully in them!!! It's really beautiful!!! Wish I could see your snow!!!

Anne-Marie said...

This is so pretty... your flowers look so nice and nice shade of pink used.
Thankyou for the lovely comments you always give me.
Life has been busy for me lately.. I have started doing volunteer work at an Aged Care Facility.

Tracy said...

I can just see you getting down in your craft room. LOL The page turned out so beautifully. I love the flowers. All that layering looks amazing. I just can't imagine you being selfish but if this is what comes from selfish, bring it on. hee hee Hugs!

Unknown said...

This has been one of the highlights of my day Nancy. Not only is the card beautiful but the Hymn has double blessed me as well. I could be wrong but I think God smiles as we make these lovely works of art with His Words and your handwriting really makes it personal. I have had a too busy 14 days; one thing I wanted to do was link up with the Hymn challenges. From my heart I say thank you for linking up with us this week at WAW.
Psalm 103 Blessings,
Carole Robb Bisson,
Word Art Wednesday
The flowers, are very beautiful.

Karen Letchworth said...

Hi Nancy: i must agree with Carole - this is a real blessing. I've had a long day, and just got home, took a warm shower and sat down to relax. What a blessing to hear this much loved hymn and to see your beautiful project. Thank you SO much for being such a blessing to me each week. I appreciate your participation in our challenges. Have an awesome week!
Blessings,
Karen L
Word Art Wednesday

Cindy Haffner said...

STUNNING Nancy, your work is always so BEAUTIFUL!!~

Sandy Ang said...

that handmade flower is gorgeous

Kreatives von Andrea said...

Wow my friend Nancy, what a great and wonderful work. And the flowers are so beautiful i like them very much.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm always pleased when you dropped in on my blog

I wish you a beautiful Christmas season, a big hugs from Andrea

Jennifer said...

This is a wonderful page Nancy! I think that the best things that we can create are those that are motivated by our love for God. He teaches me so much as I craft. Love the wonderful layered flowers you've made. So lush and the pin is a delightful touch!

Anonymous said...

You?! Have a selfish moment?! Girlfriend you always amaze me with the upbeat tone to your blog all the time. I'm glad to hear that you have your way of dealing with the days you are in pain and get through them.

Thank you for sharing this bit about yourself. Makes the created work, which is always awesome, even more noteworthy knowing that you worked through your difficult time in "Praise".

Love you - Leslie

Jonia said...

My goodness Nancy what a beautiful page. I have been so busy lately and now you are ahead of me. I understand what you mean about being down and using praise and worship to lift you back up. That is all it takes and praising our Lord and we can feel his presence and his peace as it envelopes us. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful layout as always Nancy :) Love those flowers. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment :) Wonder if pages from Reader's Digest condensed books would make nice flowers?? LOL
Hugs
Lynn xx

Jo Ann said...

Love the monochromatic feel of this card and those DP's are amazing...Thanks for blessing us with your artwork this week at Word Art Wednesday. Hugs always!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Susan M said...

Oh Nancy, BEAUTIFUL ! My favourite hymn [was my school hymn] and my favourite of all your hymn pages, [until the next one!] The flowers are so lovely must have a look at this die . it's all so BEAUTIFUL! Can you tell how much I like this page?

Sybil B. said...

Beautiful work and such a beautiful reminder to give God all the praise. When we get our hearts in tune with Him, and our eyes fixed back on what is truly important He helps adjust our attitude and mental outlook.
Thank you so much for sharing,
Sybil

Sandy Hentzel said...

Just lovely! Sometimes it is the sacrifice of praise that brings us closer to Him. It is the doing when we don't want to, He honors that.

I am loving all you projects especially the recent ones!

Blog Archive